Wednesday 4 May 2011

Ultrasound a-go-go

Of course, being preggers, the doctor wants ultrasounds - well, at least there's no needles involved.  Onto the phone once again to make another friggin' appointment (as an aside, how do pregnant women find time to work?  I feel like I have an appointment every week and sometimes lots!)
Anyhoo, get a very nice lady and I explain I'll go to any location in Calgary, I just want the first appointment available.  Then she very sweetly offers me one - in 5 weeks.  WHAT?!?  This is a city of over a million people and the soonest I can get in is 5 weeks?!  At this rate I won't be finished getting ultrasounds until my baby is walking around, inadvertently learning bad words from her mommy because she can't get into her final untrasounds!
Then she offers me a choice - I can go out of town to Airdrie, just north of town, and get in this Friday.  Well that's more like it and while I'm out there, there's a giant mall of awesomeness I could explore - pregnancy brings with it a whole host of new shopping opportunities.
So Friday comes and off I go to the booming metropolis of Airdrie, Alberta.  Find the ultrasound clinic no problem and off I go to check in - talking to the receptionist and over saunters Rachelle - one of my oldest friends (If you're reading this Rachelle I don't mean you're old, just that we've been friends a really f*ing long time)
I get a knowing smile with my hello and I say "Well, I guess you know!" So much for not telling any of my friends yet.  Well Rach takes me back to her little room and slathers on the gel, which she has very considerately warmed up.  She's looking around and says yep, there's the baby and then says that the heartbeat is good and strong.
Wait a minute... Heartbeat?  I thought you only saw a heartbeat after like 6 weeks.  I get that poor pitying you-really-have-no-idea look and she informs me "Buddy, you're 8 weeks pregnant.  Actually 8 weeks and 3 days."
Good thing I'm lying down or I probably would've fallen down.  I only found out I'm pregnant 5 days ago!  Didn't really miss a period (Oh that's apparently spotting and implantation bleeding) and I've only been sick for 2 weeks! 
Holy crap, mental inventory of all things I have done over the last 8 weeks - No taking of folic acid, or practically any other vitamin (BAD), went for cocktails, but at least not any all out craziness (BAD), ate sushi (BAD), spent a whole week drinking coffee and energy drinks hard core (BAD)...
Oh no - I've got a vitamin deficient, drunken, Japanese caffeine hound in there.  Is there such a thing as pre-natal rehab for the baby?

No comments:

Post a Comment