Sunday 29 May 2011

Let's get physical

Oh what a thrilling day - I was 12 weeks and 3 days, which meant it was time for my pre-natal physical and my nuchal ultrasound. 
First thing in the morning, off to the doctors for that always fun physical.  Of course, it was right at 8am, so I got up, washed and peed and headed out with my trusty english muffin with PB (one thing the baby seems to consistently like, although now that I've written it here, she/he will probably change their little developing mind).
Get to the office and surprise of surprises, get in right away!  There's a new nurse and the first thing she does is hand me a lovely cup to pee in while she's weighing me.  WHAT?!?  I just went before I left the house!! Break out the water bottle and start chugging like I'm doing boat races back in college.
Next up, let's fill out these pregnancy information forms on the fun computer system at the doctor's office.  Well, interesting. New nurse means I'm the first pregnant patient and so she hasn't done these forms before and so she's asking me questions.  I am returning blank stares, waiting for the chugged water to kick in.  After bringing in the receptionist and answering my very personal questions to her (BTW, do doctor's receptionists have to keep confidential too?  Probably should've asked that first...), then it's time to go pee.  Wait.  There's one bathroom in the doctor's office and it seems as though a male patient has decided to set up his morning office, complete with coffee and a paper in there.  Knock knock!  My bladder is full and unless I want to scar the children in this waiting room with my uncontrollable "leakage," I'd recommend you read the sports page OUT HERE.  Comes out, shoots me a dirty look.  Smile sweetly and go in. Pee in cup.  AHHHHHHHHHHH...
Back to the little room and there's a robe there and told to get undressed. No prob, thanks to the new uniform of yoga pants.  Doctor comes in, checks the boobs and then breaks out the stirrups.  WHAT?!?  So not only do I have to go and have blood taken as though I'm a vampire snack machine, I also get the dreaded SPECULUM again?!  Boys - google it.  It makes turning your head and coughing sound fun.
Go to my happy place...  Hi pretty shoes!  Oh hello pedicure... why yes, I am a model in my spare time...
Thank God THAT'S done.  So for the foreseeable future, I not only get to be needled regularly, but now I also get to be "probed" for lack of a better term.  Maybe all the people who thought they were abducted by aliens were just pregnant too.

No comments:

Post a Comment