Thursday 28 April 2011

Arrivederci Ravioli...

Suddenly, as I'm googling away on my laptop I came to a sickening realization - I was going to have to give up my first love of 13 years, Ravioli.
There I was, an idealistic 24 year old, finishing my BA in Regina.  I had a string of bad luck with cars - first a money pit Ford Probe ($6000 in less than a year!), then bought a brand shiny new Toyota Paseo to have a guy run a red light and destroy her 4 months after I got it. 
I was feeling distraught, searching dealerships and test driving until I was a combination of annoyed from dealer dudes totally ignoring me unless Daddy dearest was with me and completely confused because all I know about cars is how to put gas and windshield washer fluid in and change out my spare tire.
Then one magical day, I went to the used lot at Toyota... And miracles of miracles, a super nice salesman (who it turns out had a daughter too) came right up to me to ask how I was doing!  I told him I thought I wanted a brand spanking new Rav4 and none of the new car people would give me the time of day, so he marched right over and we test drove my Ravioli's cousin (I didn't like the colour and wanted a standard) 
It was love at first drive.
I completely forgot the play-it-cool mantra of buying new cars and signed on the dotted line and handed over almost all my money - at least I was graduating from university so all those tuition dollars got me a discount big enough to cover the taxes.
All that was left was for Toyota to save my dear little Ravioli from the clutches of Winter-peg, and drive her to my door.  I picked her up with just over 600 km on her from her trek out of the wilderness and we've been best friends ever since.

Now the reason her name is Ravioli - she only has 2 doors and isn't much longer than a smart car.  Crap.  No room for a baby and baby stuff. On to kijiji and there, posted about the same time as the appearance of the dreaded blue cross was an ad: "WANTED: A 2 door, 2WD, manual transmission RAV4."
The exact description of my baby.  Email the guy, then he test drove it with his wife. I could see the look in their eyes - Ravioli had them under her adorable little car spell.  Then he offered me 5 grand in crisp $100 bills. 
Just like that I said good-bye to my partner through most of my adult life.  Arrivederci Ravioli...  Great, now I want pasta.

No comments:

Post a Comment