Saturday 15 October 2011

Pregnancy can be a hairy situation

When I found out I was pregnant, it explained a few things - weird(er) back pains and the nausea I'd been feeling.  No big surprise, kinda par for the course... You see when women who get kinda blindsided by pregnancy find out, there are general pregnancy symptoms we know about: no period (take that Playtex!), the incessant nausea (hello premium plus) and that you will suffer all sorts of aches and pains thanks to your stomach growing to watermelon-esque proportions.  I'm from Saskatchewan - they make helmets out of watermelons.  I know one when I see it. 
But my hair... my beloved hair.  No matter the size of my ass, a giant Mount Vesuvius zit on my face, I love my hair.  Sure, I didn't always love it - thank you 1986. I thought I would look cool if I got my hair cut short.  I mean REALLY short.  I hated it but not as much as my curls did.  They rebelled.  While the short hair was growing out, the curls showed me who the boss was (no it did not involve Tony Danza) and my hair stuck up everywhere - especially at the bottom.  Remember the cute little "Donna from 90210" hair cut everyone got where it was short but curled up cute on the bottom?!  My hair did that - about 4 years before it was "cool." Oh the humanity.  I had to actually get a PERM to tame the curls because no amount of Aussie Helmet Head Hairspray (or whatever it was called) could keep the curls in check.  Fast forward to high school - I learned the perfect combination of products and the length the curls liked.  We began our love affair.
I have heard countless times someone say to me "You probably wish you had straight hair.  Everyone with straight hair wishes they had curls and curls wishes they were straight."  I replied with not a chance.  I love the naturally big hair.  Me and the hair share the same personality, no matter what the trends - we're kinda in your face and a little crazy, but cute.
It's a big mass of curls without being too curly - Walking past a hair salon once, I was even pulled in because a woman wanted a perm "just like this" and the stylist promised she could do it.  I got a free cut for keeping my mouth shut.  Observe the power of the curls.  Unfortunately, the curls giveth and the curls taketh away.
You see, in that nasty first trimester (or what I shall call the puke-mester), I felt gross.  I felt bloated and ugly and needed a little pick me up - what else to do but to go get my hair done!!  Made a call to my fabulous hair dresser, headed over and told her she could cut a little extra off, but I still needed to put my hair in a ponytail - other women (and some men) know what I speak of... There is short and then there's too short to be pulled back when you are feeling lazy / vomiting.  I came out of the appointment with a lot less hair and got home to the horrible realization that I was now the latter - no matter what I tried, the hair would not all fit into one simple pony...  Well, the nausea, hormones, and lack of sleep kicked in and I cried and cried and cried.  I'm not saying it was rational in any way, shape, or form.  Just putting it out there - I was a bawling mess of tears that couldn't be consoled until 3 weeks later, thanks to said pregnancy hormones, the hair had grown fast enough to become pony worthy again.
Now in the time since, I've gotten my hair cut again and done my hair daily (usually said ponytail - I'd rather sleep for that extra 5 minutes).  Unfortunately, I hadn't realized that THE CURLS had been slowly but surely plotting their revenge against me.
Over half way through my second trimester, my mom was asking when I straightened my hair.  I kept scoffing at her, figuring my hair was just a little straighter from pulling it back in a pony so much.  Oh how I wish it were true.  One weekend, I had a shower and came out to curly hair - like I have my whole entire life.  I let it dry by itself and that`s when something horrible happened - my hair got straighter and straighter.  By the time it was dry, my beloved little kinks were a thing of memory.  Tried to wash it again the next day, adding in voluminous amounts of volumizing hair products and using the good old diffuser dryer to no avail - the curls have forsaken me.
Please God tell me that this is another cruel joke of pregnancy and my curls will come back with my monthly visitor or at the absolute worst, if they don't return, at least Tilly will get my curls... like in Highlander, there can be only one?  So much for my planned entries into mother daughter look alike contests.  Kids like that, don't they?

No comments:

Post a Comment